Two painting from roughly the same time, possibly around 1850 showing Church Street. The perspective is a fraction out but the Five Bells pub is clearly seen on both of the paintings. The building still stands today.

The house in the centre remains as it was but all the houses on the left were demolished and replaced at various times.

The open area beyond the Five Bells now has some modern houses but the photograph shows an old house that was once the village doctor's surgery.

 

   
   
   
More on the way!  
Home